Well, if you didn’t pick it up from the last post, I am expecting a baby boy on May 4th—only 2 1/2 weeks away!! This post was intended to be written much sooner, but we didn’t tell family or friends until I was 16 weeks along, and even then this was done piece-wise because I was still applying for job positions and wanted to avoid any baby news/comments being left on social networks, which may have jeopardized by ability to get a job (yes, legally they can’t deny you a job because you’re pregnant, but discrimination is pretty much impossible to prove).
The first trimester wasn’t very much fun. If the symptom was in the book, I had it (morning sickness is a complete misnomer: it lasts all day). I think the hardest thing about morning sickness was (1) I was in Nebraska City staying at a stranger’s house (the couple is LDS with two kids in college and they’re extremely nice and were kind enough to let me stay with them so we could save on gas/commuting, but it’s hard to hide the discomfort/sickness/etc. 24/7) and (2) I was in school and on rotations [meaning first I felt way too exhausted to study even though I needed to and second, standing in a small room with patients that don’t have good hygiene = torture to the ever-so-sensitive gag reflex]. Cheerios/Chex and jogging every day got me through it. (And the morning sickness lasted until 18 weeks. I don’t know how my sister-in-laws did 10 whole months of this!)
Graduation was when I was 20 weeks. And no, I didn’t take any baby bump pictures because I had only gained 2 pounds and really didn’t look pregnant. I think my PA classmates who didn’t know were quite surprised by the announcement because you couldn’t even tell.
After graduation was a whirlwind of boards prep, moving, and starting a new job. The job never slowed down and so I still have about a billion things on my to-do list before he comes, but we have a carseat and a bassinet so that’s all we really need at the beginning, right?
We are so grateful to be pregnant and expecting our little guy soon! There were a number of years that we wondered if we would be able to have kids and so we’re overjoyed. Even though I mourn my stretch marks, miss getting five or six straight hours of sleep (which hasn't happened since about 14 weeks), and have a lot of anxiety about how I am going to be a working mom, I wouldn’t trade this opportunity for anything in the world.
8 comments:
I'm so excited for you friend! :) I wish I could be there to come see you in the hospital when you have that sweet baby boy! Only 6 more weeks until the end of the academic year for me here in Portland! I'm getting pretty excited for rotations.
I'm so excited for you! Oh, and contrary to what everyone says, you really don't need a whole lot of gear for a baby. Call me a minimalist, but the car seat and bassinet are really the only things you need besides diapers and clothes. Good luck with the transition!
So excited to see a picture!! You look adorable as I knew you would! Can't wait to see you sometime and meet the newest member when he arrives!
You look great for only 2 1/2 weeks left! We are excited for you and you will do great becuase it isn't in you not to (do great that is :) You two will be great parents. Also Justin should have a tote of clothes for you.
You are TINY! Despite the morning sickness and all other yuckiness, I'm so happy you two are having this little guy! We will definitely coordinate and come say hello when we are in Omaha. Good luck!!
What a great adventure! You will be wonderful... you always are :) I can't wait to see the little guy!
Time to post some pictures of that baby on here.
I'm so happy that your family is growing and your life is just falling into place. He is such a beautiful little boy! I know exactly what you mean about proving discrimination. I'm happy for you and Jeff.
Post a Comment