Saturday, April 4, 2009

And the Winner Is...


Last Monday, we had a joint FHE with Ray and Rachel and for our activity we were taste-testing root beer. Jeff is a big root beer fan and normally insists on A&W but when I buy another brand that's been on sale, he'll say that he may be changing his mind. So we put him to the test and he did surprisingly well, only mixing up the Walmart and HyVee brand. Ray, Jeff, and I agreed that MUG root beer is our favorite, HyVee brand our second, and A&W our third. Rachel liked A&W best. Walmart was unanimously voted the worst (by far: it tastes like those root beer-flavored popsicles, just a lot too strong). So now we know what kind of root beer Jeff likes best (but Mug rarely ever goes on sale, so the HyVee brand will have to do). (This photo is compliments of Ray's very picture perfect root beer float.)

Most people like having cute bluebirds come to their window, right? Well, we were very surprised when a female wild turkey was walking across our windowsill! Jeff called her and she responded, but she was very distressed and lost. We then called animal control and found out two things: One, there is no free animal control/removal in Omaha; and Two, since it's a wild turkey, she's used to running wild on the streets of Omaha (at least, that's what the lady told me. I don't agree...)

8 comments:

Thorne Family said...

We had some of those at the last two places we lived. I agree, it's seems crazy to have wild turkeys running around the city. How is the scrapbooking going? Have you had a chance to really give it a try yet?

Heidi said...

I have never seen a wild turkey in Nebraska cities. That's crazy! Oh, and I might just have to steal your root beer taste test idea!

The Dominguez Family said...

I love all you've done to your blog, you are doing Awesome, and yes I've been a huge slacker and now have about 20 posts to do. I've decided Conference Weekend would help me catch up. Only Jeff or one of my brothers would call out to the turkey and get a response. You guys are so cute!!! It sounds like you are doing some fun cute stuff.

JoLynn

Stephanie said...

That is totally crazy about the wild turkey. And that root beer float makes me want one. Yummm.

Melynie said...

That's so funny. Wild turkeys don't exactly fit the "romantic comedy" picture, huh?

Allison Nelson said...

Great idea about the Root Beer tasting contest. I'm stealing the idea for when my parents visit next month! Also, funny about the turkey. I was a HUGE one walking through my in-law's backyard two weeks ago. I LOVE that about Omaha!

Matt and Maggie said...

I remember as a kid not loving A&W. I like Barq's... (sp?)
If you are ever on the interstate heading West look at the hills on the North side. You will often find wild turkeys and gophers! Or a cousin to a gopher, I can't remember. But it is comical.

Rachel said...

Wow, you posted that! I specialize in root beer floats. I was thinking, during the summer, we should melt those root beer popsicles and taste that compared to the gross, cheap Wallysworld root beer.
Thanks for the good time. May there be more this summer.