For those of you who don't know, I found a job! By the time I've gotten around to writing this, though, I've already put in my two week's notice. So what do I do? I work on an assembly line. I know, way to put my BYU education to good use, right? Most desirable places to work are either laying people off or on hiring freezes and after searching for months, this is the best I could find.
I work full time, first shift at a place called Marianna Industries. We put together kits for those going into beauty school--kits consisting of manikin heads, blowdryers, irons, razors, perm rods, scissors, etc. I've been blown away by the many choices of each of these products--seriously, what's the difference between the ten different brands of 3/4" curling irons? I'm at the beginning of the conveyer belt, meaning I have the biggest (and heaviest) things to put in (why is it the smallest person always gets stuck with that job?)
Our supervisor is a slave driver. She's a redhead with a mullet that goes past her butt (who wouldn't be scared of her?). What's annoying is that she sits in her comfy chair bossing us around and telling us that we're not efficient enough (I hate how she sits--we're not allowed to sit on the job). Now I can understand the feelings of resentment towards management.
So I essentially sweat for 40 hours a week. I am also the unlucky one who doesn't have a speaker [which has the radio going] nor a fan nearby (oh, the warehouse is not air-conditioned by the way). Adjusting to this work has been difficult. At first my feet were tired and aching (and no I have not purchased good standing shoes because I knew I wouldn't be here long enough to spend money on it-yes I suppose sometimes I'm too frugal). My arms and legs have many bruises from the sheer weight of heavy boxes breaking my blood vessels. My forearms have rashes from reaching into the boxes and luggage. My fingers (especially around my fingernails) bleed and my thumb is always sore from excessive box cutter use. Not my idea of fun, but I don't complain to Jeff because his response will be quit your job. I'm sure he doesn't like feeling like he's not providing for me (he does, really).
Despite how much my job isn't fun and I'm making the least amount I've ever been paid since high school, I have been blessed in many ways. I'm blessed to have a job at all and this is the first time we've had an actual income besides student loans (yes, I was working in Lincoln, but it was just enough to break even with the $4.00 gas spent on commuting daily to Omaha). I've also been blessed to have the energy I've needed to come home, make dinner, do the housework, and study (though I'm finding it hard to stay motivated to study). I tell myself every day this is why didn't stop at my bachelor's but am going on to grad school. I'm grateful that I am married to a wonderful man who believes in education and will be able to provide for me so I can stay at home with the kids. And I'm grateful that school will be starting up soon and I'll never have to work a job like this again!
2 years ago
9 comments:
Wow. This sounds like a really horrible job. But I guess the bright side is that you'll have a really good story to tell your kids when they start complaining about their high school jobs! The best part is that they won't know the truth so you could make it sound really, really good (bad). . .awesome.
Wow, I didn't realize your job was so awful!!! I bet you are going to glad to be done and ready to start school again. Where are you starting school at? Let me know if there is anything you need me to do.
I glad that you are almost finished with your nightmare of a job. Jeff and I were wondering if you had a weekend we could go tubing together?
congrats! hooray! You're finished with your job and I'll be starting mine!!! I'll tell you about it later.
Oh, that sounds awful. I'm glad you're almost done! Hopefully something wonderful will be around the corner. Good luck!!
ahhhh, tasha! that is terrible!
should i pull some strings for you over hear at human rights watch?? ; ) oh wait, i'm an unpaid intern with zero sway...
my goodness; you should write a book and call it "the jungle: part II" and then you will be fabulously rich.
ps, any job leads for provo, UT? haha, i love the constant job search... good luck to you!
*pardon the gigantorous comment*
You have a great attitude, Tasha. You still were always in a happy and chipper mood whenever I saw you. I could not do what you did. It was hard enough to even grab an application for a call center just to get some additional money. Luckily I don't need that job anymore. You and Jeff do a great job. I never even noticed your hands or arms with anything different on them.
Red head with a mullet to the waist...I would like to see that!
Tasha! I totally had a job like that one summer in South Jordan, UT (1997). I worked for Merit Medical on an assembly line, wearing a hairnet, inspecting and printing labels for medical equipment for 40 hours a week! It was awful, but at least it gave me some money. I feel your pain. AARGh. At least you're working. You have a very good attitude. Good luck with the upcoming semester! :)
You know this post just breaks my heart!!!
The triathlon is on the 29th. I can't wait! I love the chalk mural because you REALLY can tell that he tried to draw a smiley face. My sweetie.
Post a Comment