Sunday, March 7, 2010

He's Back!

This post has been long overdue, but I am so happy to have Jeff back and he should be back for good! After living apart for so long, living under the same roof did take some adjusting, but it's worth it! He's currently in between rotations and I have loved having him home. What is he up to with all of his new found (but short-lived) free time?
-He finally has an opportunity to relax a little, something that this overworked med student deserves. He still stays busy, though, with my to-do lists and catching up on clerk work
-He is "being me" as he likes to call it, meaning that he is in charge of cleaning, cooking, laundry, grocery shopping, and our finances. I must admit that I have found satisfaction in him realizing that all of the above activities take time and probably the most frustrating thing is that those responsibilities never end--dishes and laundry will pile up, bills have to be paid, and we'll always need something to eat. I think he may now understand why I am so OCD clean: the task becomes 3 times bigger if you don't immediately take care of it
-Catching up on all things related to Husker football. Really, I don’t know how anyone could be more passionate about this team than he is. We went to a Husker store the other day and he was so excited to see that there are accessories to make any room (even your bathroom) Husker-themed. He even reads and comments on Husker blogs (I don't think he'd ever admit that they are blogs, seeing as blogs are things women do, but there are a few blogs that he checks religiously)
-Going to the zoo every opportunity he can. Did you know Henry Doorly beat San Diego and is the #1 zoo in the nation? He refuses to go by himself and I’ve caved a few times to go when I should have been studying. So, if you ever want to go to the zoo, do me a favor and take Jeff with you: he’ll give you the grand tour

As for me, I've come to the stark realization that I just can't do it all: I can't study as much as I need to, spend time with Jeff, go to institute, exercise regularly, fulfill my responsibilities as a class officer, satisfactorily study my scriptures daily, and magnify (or even do) my callings and visiting teaching. I was waking up at 2 or 3 every morning to compensate for my lack of time during the day to complete the tasks, but living off that little of sleep is unsustainable and something in my schedule just has to go. I haven't yet decided what I can let go of: I'm attached to each of the activities and it is hard eliminating 'good' things in the interest of paying the most attention to the 'best' things.

School update: I feel pretty run into the ground right now, but I am looking forward to spring break (1 week and counting). It has been incredibly fast-paced and I feel like I’m living exam to exam (we’ve had a total of 27 exams or quizzes in the past 9 weeks, so it’s constantly busy). We have one week to go through each system and recently finished up stomach/abdomen (gastrointestinal) and musculoskeletal (orthopaedics). So if you’d like to talk about feces (poop) for two hours, I now know that this is possible as we had a couple of lectures on it or if you think you have sustained any injuries while working out, I’d be happy to help.

Medical Term to impress your friends: borborygmi = stomach growls


And as a follow up from the last post, I did choose OB/GYN. I will be doing both pediatrics and OB as required rotations, but for my optional rotation I did opt for the miracle of birth over crying children (not that all cry at the doctor’s office, but most do).

8 comments:

Matt Hovey said...

As we were house shopping, a lot of people had Husker themed rooms. It was kinda funny, but also SO distracting, I couldn't look at the actual room!
Thanks for you testimony today, Tasha.

lauren said...

yay! i'm happy jeff's back! so nice to get an update from you!

miss you!

elyssa said...

i voted OB in my head. i'm so glad you listened to my silent prodding... yay!

haha, and then i read lauren's. we're yay people. come back to utah in all your free time! ; )

Alissa said...

Seriously, you should stop puting that ultraound picture up! I thought you were going to say you're pregnant but then my eyes finally start reading to realize its for your rotation.
A busy life is toss up-it fulfilling and exciting but at the same time it drains you. Its nice that Jeff is back and can help take some of the load off you. Good luck!

Melynie said...

What a fun update, Tasha! Glad you have your honey back. Sounds like life is busy and good for you!

Heidi said...

I like your choice for OB. After visiting both types of offices rather regularly over the last year I would have chosen OB, even though I like the pediatrician that I use a lot better.

Daven and Savanna Lake said...

Tasha! I agree with Alissa. My eyes first jumped to the ultrasound, and then my mind jumped to conclusions :).

OF COURSE you can stay with us if you decide to do rotations in Colorado; we would love to have you! If you have time (which I'm highly doubting), send me the details of where you would be doing rotations, I'll see if we know some people who could get your foot in the door. Geeze, I can't imagine why Colorado doesn't prefer Nebraska students. I mean, if athletic records are any indication, they would know Huskers are clearly better than Buffalos.

Thorne Family said...

So I decided to leave a comment instead of trying to catch you between studying or finals. Let me know if you get this, if not I will give you a call. How does Friday night at 7 sound? I think there might be 4 of us. Rachel invited Christen Funk. We asked everyone to bring a snack. I have extra plates and cups I can bring, so you don't have to worry about that. I also told everyone no kids. Let me know if this works, or if you have any questions.