Monday, February 8, 2010

What to Choose?

Sorry that I haven’t been keeping this blog updated. It’s been a blessing to have Jeff come home for a few of the weekends he’s been gone, so I haven’t taken the time to write. I'll try to be better.

I am currently working on my rotation schedule for my final year of school and it has been very time consuming and frustrating yet exciting to think that in a little over 6 months I will already be on rotations. I have had the hardest time deciding where to go and what to do for my electives. It seems that if I want to have good learning experiences, I won’t be able to stay here (competing with all of my classmates here for those rotations in addition to two medical schools and three residency programs isn’t ideal). So this is what I’ve got so far:

Required:
Rural family medicine (3 months, has to be rural = at least 1 hour away. And even then it seems that most places this close don’t do OB, which is something I’d like to do...)
OB/GYN (in Lincoln)
ER (in Scottsbluff!)
Internal Medicine
Geriatrics
Pediatrics (in Colorado Springs)
Psychiatry
General Surgery (in Council Bluffs)



Or...


As for electives...
I absolutely love surgery, but it’s not ideal for having a family, so I’m limiting myself to one rotation (Cardiothoracic surgery). I’ve chosen Cardiology (I think the heart is fascinating), Dermatology, and I have one elective left. I’m trying to decide between OB and Pediatrics. I can’t tell if I want to work in those fields because I like it or if I’m just so excited to one day be pregnant and have my own kids that I hope working there will provide some kind of vicarious enjoyment until our little family expands. Suggestions?

12 comments:

Elise said...

I don't know if it's just me, but I don't think seeing a baby take its first breath and the family welcoming it would ever get old. (Although I do hear bad things about OBs struggling with the high malpractice insurance premiums.) On the other hand, I don't think seeing kids every day and hearing the candid things they say would get old, either. Maybe dealing with the parents would, but probably not the kids.

No matter what you choose, Tasha, you can't go wrong. You are brilliant and will be a great asset to your chosen field.

john-n-jess blomstedt said...

i for one am excited for your ER rotation! We've been thinking of you both tons and keeping you in our prayers. Love you!

The Williams Family said...

I think you would be an awesome OB. You are very chill and it is easy to tell that you genuinely care about people. And being in Peds might make you not want kids (my kids are HORRIBLE at the pediatrician's office, and I always hear other kids screaming their lungs out). My vote is OB all the way!

Stephanie said...

Scott's Bluff? Isn't that like a million miles away?

Yearsley couple said...

Hey darlin, wow you can see the light at the end of the tunnle. you are pratically done. Um i would say ob... no wait I would say Ped. no wait I think both, cus darlin you would be great in anything you put your mind to. I am heading towards OB personally, but I just get the tingles when I see a new life brought into the world. So go with your heart!!! love ya tons

Matt and Maggie said...

ER in Scottsbluff?!!!! That is where my in-laws live!!! You might go to their ward!
I'll have to ask you about that tendon tomorrow. I ice like crazy to function. I DON'T want fall more behind in the schedule. :(

Becky said...

I just found your blog! I'm so glad I can follow your adventures now. Hmmm, I think I might pick OB, because like others said, new life is so exciting. However, peds would give you a much broader age range, so it might not be as repetitive (but again, do we ever get tired of new babies?) I'm thinking of going into midwifery later down the road, so I guess my vote would be OB.

Carissa said...

If it were me, I would probably do OB because it is really, really neat to witness birth. and I love babies.

kids are fun too but I think the parents are a nightmare (just from teaching ballet and jazz... and that had nothing to do with their kid's life!) either way I think you will be happy =)
sounds like you are SO busy, I can't believe you keep it together! you're amazing Tasha!!

Marisa said...

I don't know if Tecumseh is considered rural enough for your program-but they do deliver babies there and it's only 1 hour away. So does Syracuse. Here in Pawnee City (1.5 hours) we always have med students down. Our PA graduated from your program. It's a possibility-but we don't have OB(although the Beatrice OB clinic is down here 1/month she might let you help, but no deliveries)

Brianna said...

Tash - I cannot believe that you are nearly half way through your didactic year! You are the light at the end of MY tunnel telling me it CAN be done! I love love love it when you update. I hope to be able to be a diligent blogger like you are, even if they are few and far between. Clearly studying is the number one priority. I start next week!

Anyway, as far as rotations go, I don't know what to choose between OB and peds. I would probably do OB, but that is because kids drive me crazy haha. Just kidding. I really don't know - they will all be great learning experiences. DO YOUR RURAL IN AK! Ü That would make me happy = make Jeff and the rest of your family and friends unhappy. I can't wait until my rural rotations. To see the Native life will be incredible. Anyway, let us know what you choose! As Elise mentioned (and everyone else knows), you will do great wherever you choose!

Brianna

Matt and Maggie said...

Tasha,
As it turns out, we will be moving out of Elmwood. Same stake, Oakview ward. Exciting but sad. I'm gonna miss our choir, but you can bet I'll try to fill that gap by going to this one. :)

Ben Dutton said...

That is exciting to be planning rotations! Congratulations on all your hard work so far! I'm sure you will do great in whichever you choose. My only concern would be scaring you off--but you are probably braver than me--I still have to psych myself up when it gets time to deliver and I've been through it.