This past week off has been absolutely divine—I could get used to this! Too bad my next break isn’t until Christmas…. Jeff and I were able to visit Jason (Jeff’s brother) and Staci over the weekend and we got to spend time with their sons, Axel and Jackson. We went bowling for the first time in probably a couple of years and Jeff actually beat Staci (which never happens: Staci is a pro!)
I finally caught up on recycling, did some deep cleaning (like take apart the fridge, curtains, and move all of the furniture-type of cleaning), did some sewing, made freezer jam, got contacts (special thanks to Kristie for helping me figure out when they are in backwards), and did some shopping (I think I’m on a spending suspension until further notice…). Then we had a girls’ night after the church broadcast at the Cheesecake Factory. The entire week was wonderful.
[I apologize for the lack of pictures: I did bring my camera everywhere this week, but never pulled it out.]
I start rotations tomorrow and I’m a little nervous (that’s a lie: a lot nervous). Excited, but nervous. Surgery is my first rotation. Surgery is well known for its long hours, not-so-nice surgeons, and eating protein bars in the bathroom because that’s the only break you get. Of my many fears, I don’t want pass out in the operating room [Not because the sight of blood makes me dizzy: really it is so plentiful that it seems like red water…. But rumor has it you don’t get meals, so the combination of not eating + standing for long hours under hot lights seems to spell disaster.]

I’ll explain how our rotations work:
-Each rotation is one month, with the exception of rural family medicine which is three consecutive months. We will have a total of 15 months of rotations before graduation. I have 7 months of rotations in the Omaha area and 8 months in other locations. [Others in my class have international rotations as well as rotations all over the nation, including Hawaii and Alaska. But you have to pay for travel expenses and I wouldn’t want to live away from Jeff if I don’t have to!]
-We work with people we call preceptors, who are typically an MD, DO, PA, or NP (Nurse Practitioner). They agree to help train/teach you during your rotation, but they are not paid or reimbursed for their services (so I don’t know where that expensive tuition goes…) All of my preceptors are MDs except one rotation.
-Preceptors do something we call “pimping” in the medical world. They ask you questions. Some of them might be easy, but most of them are either (1) to teach you or (2) to make you feel like an idiot (it all depends on how nice of a preceptor you have). When I expressed my fears of looking dumb to my mom, her response was ‘Just imagine them naked. They’re not any better than you.’ Thanks mom, now I feel a whole lot better. :)
-We are required to work a minimum of 40 hours a week. If your preceptor is working, you are required to be there when he/she is there. You are essentially a slave of the preceptor/clinic: my buddy was putting in 72 hour weeks at the Creighton ER this summer! This also includes weekends and any non-observed holidays (i.e. the day after Thanksgiving). If our preceptor isn’t working, we are still expected to be in the office. If we have events such as weddings that require us to miss a day, we must make up the lost clinic time by working weekends and/or holidays.
-Every two months, we will come back to campus for End Of Clinical (EOC) exams, workshops, and class. We are expected to study and prepare for these exams diligently during our rotations. [The med school equivalent is called Shelf exams. The biggest difference is that their tests are a national standardized test while ours are composed by the University.]
-We are required to record all of our patients from the Pediatric, Geriatric, and Family Medicine rotations on a system called Typhon. We must document all of the patients we see, procedures/surgeries we see, and our role in the patient’s care (shadow vs. doing it all by ourselves without our preceptor’s help). Then when we graduate, we have a mini-resume of our clinical experience.
-We are NOT residents. Residents are med school graduates and are actually getting paid (albeit worse than minimum wage, an income is better than none!). As students we do not have the power to write prescriptions and are far less independent than residents, who essentially function as experienced physicians. PAs can complete a year long residency after graduation, but most do not because it is not required and doing a residency doesn't result in higher pay.
Let me know if you have any questions about rotations: I tried to remember the ones people have asked me about up to this point. I'll write about the OR (Operating Room) soon!
10 comments:
I'm so excited for you! You will do great! I'm in Portland this morning interviewing at OHSU. Wish me luck!
How exciting, Tasha!
That pic of cheese cake hardly does any justice to what we ate! :)
Thank you for inviting me, it was a blast to be with all of you again. And that broadcast was just what I needed too.
I decided not to do one of those home preschools where you take turns at each others houses. Since Gwen is coming soon I didn't want to commit knowing I'd have a newborn. But I also know that of course Zeke still needs it. So I consulted with my fellow Bear Scout leader who is a preschool teacher, and with her help created a curriculum. Then I a syllabus. If all goes well (and if he is ready to) he should be a reader by February-which isn't actually part of the typical preschool curriculum, but I guess I am ambitious.... I am also excited about the rest of it though. Zeke is a very eager learner. :)
Education is awesome!!!! Especially when, like yourself, you get to utilize it in the field!
Wow, I'm sure I'd be really nervous too. Good luck, and I'm excited for you as you enter this new phase of your program. I'm sure you'll do great.
Woohoo! So, do you think your other 8 months of rotations may bring you to Denver? Our home is completely open to you, if need be! We would love to have you!
Also, glad you were able to have a relaxing and productive week off!
Thanks for spending part of your week off with us! Good luck with rotations and we will be waiting for all the fun stories you will have to share.
Exciting!! I can't believe you are going to spend 8 (?) months out of Omaha though - I don't feel like I can support you in that one. :)
Wow Tasha! You are a rock star!!
I'm sure you'll be awesome!
You will do great! You have a way of open and easy to talk to, but very knowledgeable about what ever it is you talk about. I hope that makes sense.
I can't believe you took about your refrigerator!?!Cleaned your curtains?!! I don't even have time to put curtains up!!
I'm going to miss you when you aren't in Omaha!
Good luck with everything!!! You are good at whatever you want to do!
this is super exciting!! I can't believe you are really nearing the finish line!
Tasha,
I am so proud of you! You are a true inspiration.
Post a Comment