
For the past month I have been doing psychiatry. I’ve heard a lot of different things from my classmates about their crazy experiences with patients (death threats, xtreme suicide attempts, etc.), so I was expecting to have an odd experience that I absolutely wouldn’t like. I was wrong.
Not that I necessarily loved psychiatry, but I didn’t hate it. The patients were overall very polite and pleasant to talk to. I definitely saw some interesting situations and some very sad situations (such as domestic abuse where the patient refuses to leave their abusive husband). I got to see some OCD people (there is a difference between OCD and OCPD: OCD is the constantly obsessing and doing something (such as washing hands until they bleed), whereas OC Personalities like everything to be orderly (except the disorder requires that it creates dysfunction, such as getting fired from your job or getting divorced because your obsessive need for cleanliness). I saw some classic schizophrenics (A Beautiful Mind does a great job portraying this condition), but more schizoaffective (schizophrenia + major depression or bipolar disorder). I saw patients hospitalized after suicide attempts, for alcohol withdrawal, etc. I saw lots of people with Major Depression: bankers, lawyers, you name the profession and we probably saw someone suffering from this disorder.
I actually liked this rotation. I don’t think it would be my first pick for a job upon graduation because it is completely different than all of the other specialties (no physical exam, etc.), but if that was the only job available I could do it without going crazy.
I learned a lot about the dynamics of relationships and different personalities. It is easier to see something from a more objective view when they're not your friends or family. I could certainly identify with some of the patients and their problems, as well as saw some personality traits and/or disorders that I see in other people (yes, I probably have considered what diagnosis I would give you...:)
A few other things I learned:
-I like psychiatry because the hours are amazing! I love getting out by 5 pm at the latest
-drug addiction knows no boundaries of age: I saw a lot of 50 somethings still doing illicit drugs
-the worst days are when all of your scheduled patients start bawling during the interview: always have Kleenexes handy
-If you have your drug dealer come to the hospital to bring you heroin while you are hospitalized for alcohol withdrawal, you probably will get kicked out of the hospital
-The top three risk factors for depression in women are: 3 kids under age 12, stay-at-home mom, and an unsupportive husband. So if you have any of these risk factors, make sure you give yourself a mental break every once in a while with some "me" time!
Hope everyone is doing well. I can't believe Christmas is just around the corner!
8 comments:
Oh Tash, I am so glad you blogged! I have been wanting to call you, but have not known what your hours are and I have been really busy toward the end of the quarter. Psych is the rotation that I am most nervous for. I feel like I might struggle in making dual diagnoses, or that I will miss something completely obvious. However, I realize that when I am in a psych practice, they know and I know what they are coming in for VS. let's say in family practice they come in for X complaint, but somewhere in there they have Y and Z as well. Anyway, I love that you put at the end that you've totally thought of what diagnosis(es) you would give people - been there and done that. The more I learn (or read my DSM-IV) I am like, "Oh man, that is TOTALLY so and so," or "Oh, I am for sure a combo of those!" It is funny.
How did surgery end up with that surgeon? We will start looking at our clinical year in January and I just have NO clue what to expect. At this point I don't feel like I have the "tools in my toolbox" to go out and practice. Obviously I haven't finished my classroom training, but I am still nervous!
Hope you are getting some "me" time. Probably so since you have had your psych rotation and like you said, the hours are way nice. We actually get to do what is called Spring Break Clinic - one week over spring break (we get two) is spent in a primary care setting. I am excited and nervous as well. I never really wanted to be in primary care, but sometimes I think to myself how smart it would be because you can keep up on a larger amount of information just based on what you see daily as compared to a specific job where you're dealing with that and only that. Just got the PANCE/PANRE in mind. :)
Love you, Tash. You are doing great and I love seeing your success!
This was an interesting post! You seem to be on top of things and I'll bet you're making a great impression on the people you work with.
It is nice for you that you feel this way about the psych aspect of medicine, because as an OB/GYN you'll probably have to do a lot of post partum depression type stuff with your patients, right? It's a good thing they will have you looking out for them.
Hey, definitely interesting! Also Steven got on your blog to read it (because I read it through google reader) and your writing is in black so you can't see it. Just to let ya know. Love ya.
Britt
Scratch what I just said...the writing just showed up:) I'm a goof:0
I bet it was nice having a "relaxing" rotation after such a crazy one!! I can't believe all you do and how you handle it. I would sit there with my mouth hanging open, or start laughing. (Even if it's not really funny). You have such class!
Just wait til you work with crazy old people five days a week. ya, that's what I do now. I am a Recreation Therapist at a psychiatric locked hospital. It is rad, that oddest things happen here. I should have started writing them down from the beginning, because they don't seem so strange after 4 months
Hi Tasha, it was great to see you last month in Omaha. Thank you for your generous offer of hospitality if anytime Peter and I find ourselves in town. Thank you. Who knows, it could happen! Likewise on NYC. We're here another six months, possibly another 4.5 years - TBD. This psychiatry rotation sounds fascinating. My sister has three children under age 12, so I'm going to reach out to her and see how she's doing. Merry Christmas!
Hey again! I love reading about your adventures in rotation! It is so interesting to see things from that perspective!
Post a Comment