I am 1 ½ months from graduation and as exciting as that should be, I feel as though I am in a frenzy to get my to-do list done that I hardly have time to appreciate that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. The first item on my to-do list: find a job. It’s funny how everyone always says that in healthcare you will always have a job, but I think that the fine print to that statement is that it may not be in the field or location of your choice. My classmates that are staying in the Omaha/Lincoln area are also unable to find jobs because there aren’t many out there. If you’re willing to move to rural Nebraska, South Dakota, or Kansas, you’ll have a job. And I’m not trying to be picky; I’m limited because we have to be close enough for Jeff to go to school. Lincoln is the preference, but I would commute to Omaha if I found a job there.
In addition to our geographical requirement, I’ve had some significant concerns about how to reconcile being a working mom with being at home with my child often. I personally think that this is impossible for someone that needs a full-time job with benefits. (And no, this is not an announcement. But the reality of our financial circumstance requires that I will have to work for at least the next three or four years to get started on paying our $220k+ debt and we can’t wait until we can afford for me to be a part-time working mom before we start having kids.) Can I find a job that doesn’t have call? Weekends? Holidays? Long weekdays? What about a job that we allow me to pump? There’s no way we can afford formula and it’s not as good for your child anyways. Will I have to commute and how will that work with childcare? How are we going to afford childcare? Who am I going to entrust to take care of my child? There are many concerns that present themselves for someone who wishes she could be a stay-at-home-mom.
Everyone seems to ask what field I’d like to get a job in. There just doesn’t seem to be a perfect answer, as there are pros and cons to each and sometimes I’m unsure if my trying to find something that will fit my family clouds me from knowing what type of medicine I really love, but I think my top choices are pretty congruent with a good lifestyle/hours. Dermatology and ER are my favorites, but I would really be happy doing anything. I’ve observed that the most important thing about getting a job as a PA is to find a supervising physician who respects you and your knowledge and allows some degree of independence.
ER
-pro: 15 12-hour shifts a month (but don’t let that fool you: that still adds up to 45+ hrs/week)
-pro: pumping would be a definite possibility to squeeze in while waiting for lab and x-ray results
-con: working at a hospital means that you will have to work nights, weekends, and holidays
Dermatology
-pro: a nice 8-5 without call, holidays off
-con: pumping seems far less possible
-con: if I were to get a job with this, I would have to commute 1 hour each way, which equates to 2 additional non-quality hours I don’t get to spend with my child. And it brings to question, do I seek childcare in Lincoln or Omaha?
But at this point, beggars can’t be chosers. And with 35 of my classmates trying to get the same job, I will take any job offer I can get with decent pay and benefits. Sometimes it’s more about putting food on the table and paying off debts than it is getting your dream job. Maybe one day when I have more experience I can afford to be a little more picky, but right now I just need to find A job.
5 comments:
WOW it seems that you have a lot on your mind right now. Can I just say that I am so proud of you!! Just remember to take a deep breath and trust the lord. He knows all your concerns and wants the best for you and your hubby. You will do fabulous in what ever job comes your way. With the chidcare I am freaking out about that too. BUt it usually all falls in to place if you are trusting in the lord. I wish you luck and am so happy for you and all the hard work you have put in!! loveya tons
All those factors make this so tricky!! I wish I could offer some sage advice, but all I can say is that the Lord knows your needs and if you try all you can to open up options, the way will be made known. I'm sorry that you have this stress, Tasha. I wish only good things for you and I will keep you in my prayers so that things work out for. Sometimes when it seems overwhelming, all of a sudden things fall into place much better that you could have imagined. Good luck!!
Hmmm. I know of some moms who were able to work nights or weekends at the hospital and that coordinated with their husbands work/school schedule, so one of them could usually be with the kids. (If you lived near me, I would baby-sit at least one or two days a week!) But again, you need A job, and can't afford to be too picky. I would think it would be better to have your childcare closer to your job city/location, because then you get the time in the car with your baby during the commute, where you can at least talk to them and sing (okay, okay, that might not be so great if your child hates the car seat, or if you get stuck in traffic and baby is screaming...but it would be more time to be in their presence...) As for pumping...you know more about what kind of breaks certain jobs do and don't allow/fit in, but if you got a good electric pump, I bet you could do some of it while you are charting (maybe?) And one of my friends said some insurance companies will actually pay for a pump, but they don't like to advertise that, so check with your insurance when that's applicable.
so exciting that you're graduating! and the rest is so hard--we're not in the same place, but we have similar concerns. as everyone says and as annoying as it is to hear, God knows what you're doing, and he knows what he's doing. we'll pray for you! and you'll be a great mom regardless of how it works out.
Oh Tasha, it does sound like you have several genuine concerns. It is a tough thing to work and be a mom but it works out. It takes planning in order to keep everything balanced but if you've been able to get through PA school, I am certain you can do it.
By the way, i believe it is required by law that your employer allows you to pump...in fact I think they should even have a seperate place where you can do that.
Post a Comment