Monday, April 27, 2009

Graduation!


After lots of frustration and a year and a half at UNL, I am now an official graduate of Brigham Young University with a BS in Biology. Jeff had an exam and Dad's out of town on business, so my mom and I roadtripped up to Utah. It was a lot of craziness because everyone was moving out and I essentially lived out of a reusable grocery bag that I carried around. Besides changing in bathroom stalls and wearing very uncomfortable shoes, it wasn't too bad.


Knowing that the reader would mispronounce my last name like most do [this is when I miss my maiden name], I wrote it out phonetically (it's blumstead for those who don't know). Much to my surprise and dismay, the reader pronounced my last name correctly but mispronounced my first name! (Which, seriously, is it that hard to say?)


[Above is a picture of the fishbowl of the Benson building: this is essentially where I lived on campus.] I am so grateful for the experiences that I had at BYU. Even more important than learning about chemistry and biology, I learned about the gospel, serving others, and strengthening my testimony. I loved being able to see friends and reminisce about undergrad. I love BYU (but I love my Jeff even more which is why I cut my experience short to get married).

I feel the need to acknowledge all of my family and friends who supported my academic endeavors thus far. There are too many to list, but I have to give a shout out to Trent Miller, my closest friend from BYU and my constant study buddy. This guy is the only reason I got good grades in my science classes. His lovely wife Aubrey took a photo of us at Zupas (which you should check out the next time you're in Provo because it's really good food).


So, what's next? I've been accepted to the Physician Assistant Program at UNMC and will begin in the fall. It will be an intense program where they try to cram med school into 2 1/2 years, but it will enable me to better serve others and my family. I'm Excited!!

14 comments:

Melynie said...

Congrats! That is a terrific accomplishment. You must feel very proud. Good luck in PA school! It was fun to see pics of your parents! I havent' seen them in forever.

Brianna said...

TASH! I got your email...annnnnnnd had a terribly crazy weekend and didn't call. But next week, after finals, I promise! CONGRATS ON FREAKING PA SCHOOL. In a way I hate you, but in reality I love you. I will be applying for 2010 (starts in January). I really hope it all works out! I'm excited you've accepted! LOVE YOU!

Brittany said...

woohoo! congrats again, it was so good to see you and it looks like all went well at the actual graduation! Doesn't it feel so good to be done?!!!

Daven and Savanna Lake said...

Why were you able to graduate from BYU...that's Awesome, but how did you pull it off? I never doubeted you would get into PA school you genius, you.

And, I don't know what Jeff is talking about...I took a talkin' to from your mother for you two--totally took one for the team. PLUS, I recall many a conversation I had with Jeff about why Tasha is a good thing--not that he ever thought you weren't I was just encouraging him. I most certainly aided in the fire, I was like the flint to your knife and stone...flint doesn't PREVENT fires ;)

Matt and Maggie said...

You got sustained in Sacrament meeting, and Brother Byland, who is (in my opinion) infamous for botching names, said your name like blah-em-stead. OY.

Congrats, Grad. Was it weird being back there?

Hartleys said...

Congratulations again on getting in to the PA program next year. How awesome that you will both start after and finish before our stinking husbands.

Yes, we are having an end of classes bbq this weekend. Saturday. Come early and help me set up and we can chat about how it feels to be a college graduate! Congrats again! :)

canihavethisdance said...

Congratulations Tasha!! We are happy that you were able to fulfill your dream. Good luck with PA school.

Stephanie said...

B.J. looks really different than the way I remember him. I knew it was him though from his fashionable belt. Sorry that Jeff didn't get to be with you for your big day.

Thorne Family said...

Congrats on graduation!! That is so great!!! Good luck on everything!!!

Thorne Family said...

Hey! Lets totally do a sewing party!! How fun is that!?!I should be getting mine this weekend! Oh! I totally love that quilt you showed me! It make me want to make one for Wesson! Yeah! How is the scrapbooking going?

Thorne Family said...

It's a brother, it's gray on the front and computerized. I don't remember the name. Thursdays are usually good and some saturdays to do sewing. I can leave Wesson with Kent. How are you?

Thorne Family said...

A hem gauge is always good. Extra bobbins, thread, needles, pins, seam ripper. Then it's always handy to have elastic,ribbon, and buttons. I'm also planning on hitting the sales on Monday, but I don't know when. I'm going hiking with my family, so as right now I don't know when I will be back. If that falls through we should get Rachel and hit the fabric stores.

Yearsley couple said...

CONGRATS darlin, THis is Kathryn Ross from Nebraska. I am so proud of you and what you have acomplished! I hope everything goes fabulous in P.A. School. Love ya tons Kathryn Ross Yearsley

Tati Smith said...

Tasha! You were here in Provo?! I know this was a good month and a few days ago...but you didn't tell me?! haha just a little personally offended but CONGRATULATIONS! And good luck with the PA program. I love you!