It has been a long time since I’ve last posted because life has been completely crazy. Jeff took his boards at the end of June (whew, I’m glad that is over) and so we celebrated with the Songsters and the Johnsons. Good thing we have friends which force Jeff to spend more than $5 at a restaurant! P.F. Changs was good (and it was Jeff’s first time eating there). I just love those lettuce wraps!!
The day after boards we left for Keystone, Colorado, a ski resort close to Breckenridge. We didn’t spend any money doing things, but got to spend some amazing days out in the wilderness with two long hikes. The first was 7 miles long and this is the picture of one of the lakes we saw.
The other lake was covered in snow, so there’s not much to see. Somehow, though I still can’t figure out how, while sliding down the snow (believe me, there was TONS) my thumbnail ripped off. And not just the pretty part, but the part that’s still connected to the flesh. We, being as prepared as we are, didn’t have bandaids so I just stuck it in the snow for a while to slow the bleeding and Jeff tied a Wet Ones around it for pressure. Fun, huh? I never realized how important my thumb was until it was out of commission. Perhaps the opposable thumb really is why humans are more intelligent…:)
Our other hike had the goal of Salmon lake (and no we didn’t bring our fishing poles, though we considered it). The hike took forever (the internet said it would be 10 miles) and we never reached our destination because the trail was so covered in snow that we couldn’t follow it anymore. Isn’t it amazing that there can still be snow in June/July? We met a cute old couple and decided that’s what we want to be doing when we’re old: hiking and taking pictures of flowers. On the way back we ran into a local who essentially told us that our hike was 10 miles one way…no wonder we were exhausted!
I absolutely love Colorado: it is my favorite state (granted I haven’t been to all of them, but this is the one I like best so far). I think Jeff got sick of how much I liked the mountains (though it does have the flat plains for him on the eastern side) and the people are very nice and friendly. I like how it’s popular to be active (those jogging/biking trails are always busy) and have a dog (yay!). It offers biking, hiking, kayaking, rafting, and mountain climbing in the summer and skiing and sledding in the winter. I love doing those outdoorsy things. Maybe someday we’ll move there…
[A picture of the Keystone resort--it was a stormy day]
Since our trip we’ve done the Blomstedt family reunion, Jeff’s started his surgery rotation, and I’m working every day (yes, I finally got a job!). More updates to come soon!!
7 comments:
Those are some impressive hikes! But I do LOVE Colorado as well, maybe we'll both end up there? :) But we need to catch up soon, I'll hopefully be in touch!
You most certainly should move to Colorado! I'm all for it!
Keystone looked and sounded like an adventure, complete with medical emergencies and all! I'm glad you guys got a little break--well deserved, well deserved.
Wow! How amazing. Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures. Hooray for passing the Boards, too!
I love all the pictures! Colorado is so beautiful! It looks like you had lots of fun! Sorry about your finger, I hope it feels better.
Oh, that's good you've been to PF Changs now.
I agree, Colorado is an amazing state, and I could live in the mountains. We still haven't seen your pictures yet. I'll have to remind you next time we come over.
Looks like you guys had so much fun on your trip! What a cute couple!
I love the pics that you have posted! I'm agreeing with some of your previous comments, in that I hope we both end up there! It was so great seeing you guys at Mom and Dads' and I especially enjoyed our opportunities to chat and get to know eachother better. I think we share some commen traits.. and we totally rock as a pitch duo! Too bad that fate wasn't on our side. Miss you,hon' I look forward to our next get together. I'm not the best e-mailer, but I've been trying to do better!
Post a Comment